Problem with Symbol Store

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Problem with Symbol Store

Postby John » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I am trying to import a memory dump file. I get to the .NET Runtime Version Mismatch window. I select "Retrieve from Microsoft symbol store..." and click OK. But this window keeps returning. The missing file is always MSCORDACWKS.dll. How do I get past this?

Yes, I do have a working internet connection and I don't normally have trouble downloading symbols. I have tried the window with and without specifying my symbol cache (F:\Symbol Cache) in the top directory box.

I'm running version 3.1 of the .NET Memory Profiler on Windows Vista Business.

Thanks,
John.
Last edited by John on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 pm

This happens when the profiler fails to locate the version of MSCORDACWKS.dll that matches the .NET runtime version of the memory dump file. What version of .NET do you have installed on the computer where the memory dump is imported, and what is the version of .NET on the machine where the memory dump was created? If we manage to setup a similiar configuration we might be able to find out why the profiler fails to locate MSCORDACWKS.

Another option would be for you to provide us with the memory dump that you fail to import. That way we can hopefully find out what the problem is. If there is a possibility for you to provide us with the memory dump file, please send an e-mail to support@scitech.se and we will provide you with information on how to upload the memory dump file.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Thank you for the memory dump file.

I have tried to import it on a few different systems, but for some reason the Microsoft symbol store doesn't seem to provide the correct version of mscordacwks.dll. I finally tried to import it on a Windows XP system, with the same runtime version (2.0.50727.3082) installed. On this system I was able to import the memory dump file, so the memory dump file itself seems to be correct.

I'm not sure why this happens. I tried creating memory dumps using several different versions of the .NET runtime, and I could successfully import all, except the memory dump for version 2.0.50727.3082.

So to import the memory dump file, you need to manually provide the mscordacwks file by:
  1. Copy the mscordacwks.dll file from the 2.0.50727.3082 installation to a folder on your computer
  2. Rename the file to "mscordacwks_x86_x86_2.0.50727.3082.dll"
  3. Select "Retrieve from this directory" and specify the folder where the file was placed.

If this doesn't work, or if you need some additional information, please reply to this post.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby John » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Andreas, I followed your directions carefully:
- I copied mscordacwks.dll from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 from the computer on which I collected the memory dump, to a folder on my computer.
- I confirmed this file was indeed version 2.0.50727.3082.
- I renamed the file to "mscordacwks_x86_x86_2.0.50727.3082.dll". I used cut and paste to make sure all the details were right.
- I selected "Retrieve from this directory" and specified the folder where the file was placed.

I immediately got a window saying "The operation has failed with the following error: Profiling stopped unexpectedly when collecting snapshot."

What now?
John

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:45 pm

It seems like you have encountered a bug in .NET Memory Profiler. When using the Browse button to locate the directory for the symbol file, the underlying data is no correctly updated. You can solve this by setting focus in the directory text box after browsing, or by entering the directory name manually.

We have fixed this problem, and the fix will be included in the next maintenance release of .NET Memory Profiler.

If there's still a problem, please tell me.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby John » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Yes that fixed the problem. Thank you.
John

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler