GC Heap heavily reduced when using MemProfiler ?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

GC Heap heavily reduced when using MemProfiler ?

Postby sthiers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 am

Hello,

It seems the "#Bytes in all Heaps" perfmon counter (from category .NET CLR Memory) is heavily impacted by the use of MemProfiler, and not in the expected direction:

When launching our application from MemProfiler, I get following perfmon counts:
PrivateBytes = 677 Mb
# Bytes in all Heaps = 52 Mb

When doing the same thing without MemProfiler, I get:
PrivateBytes = 336 Mb
# Bytes in all Heaps = 192 Mb !!!

I expected the privatebytes count to be smaller, by I can not understand why the MemProfiler reduces so much the Gc Heap !

The strange thing is that MemProfiler do not "see" the 192 Mb. Most of the memory is placed under "Kernel VirtualMemory", and the .NET share is reduced to 38 Mb, which is more or less consistent with 52 Mb from perfmon. This led to miss that a fonctionnality of our software has a big memory footprint.

Thanks
sthiers

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm

The garbage collector will be affected when the application is running under a profiler. However, I wouldn't expect a difference as big as you're describing. I did a quick test on a desktop application, but I was not able to find any notable difference when running with or without the profiler.

Can you provide some more information about your application? Is it a server application or a desktop application?

You mentioned that the profiler doesn't "see" the 192 MB, except as "Kernel VirtualMemory". But the 192MB "Bytes in all Heaps" occurred when not running under the profiler. How was the profiler able to see this memory when not profiling?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby sthiers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:06 pm

The application (desktop) is written in C#, C++/CLI and native C++.
The native C++ part includes the STLPORT implementation of STL, as well as the dlmalloc memory allocator. (Actually, the memory allocated through calls to "malloc" is still allocated by microsoft's default one, but it represents a small subset of our native memory)

About the 192 Mb, what I mean is that the application normally uses 192Mb of managed memory according to perfmon.
When ran under MemProfiler, this values falls to 52 Mb under same experimental conditions. In my previous post, I've made the assumption that
1. The 52 Mb do not really cover the whole Managed heap
2. The missing part of Managed heap is put under "Kernel virtual memory"
May be is this assumption wrong, but then I can not understand these values?

Thank you
Stéphane
sthiers

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for the information, but I still cannot come up with a good explanation for why the performance counters are affected so much.

When are you reading the performance counter numbers? Have you collected a snapshot in the profiler before reading them?

What values do you get from the Native memory view? Do they correspond to the performance counter numbers?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby sthiers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm reading the performance counters with perfmon starting at the very beginning of the experiment, hence before I do anything in the application.
The values are those which are obtained at the end of the scenario applied in our software. When profiling, a single snapshot is taken at the end of the scenario (before reading the perfmon value). In both cases the perfmon curve remains flat at the end of scenario.

In order to reply properly to your native view question, I'll redo an experiment next week. Could you precise which corresponding values you would like to have?

Stéphane
sthiers

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler