Attaching to a process after it's leaked a ton of memory...

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Attaching to a process after it's leaked a ton of memory...

Postby dmatsumoto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi, I installed the evaluation version of the memory profiler to get a feel for how the tool works. I am a complete novice at these profiling tools. My application seemed to garbage collect fine, but just this weekend it leaked over 1GB of memory, and I would like to know if the memory profiler can give me *any* useful information at all.

I searched here and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=883&hilit=attach+to+running+process

It seems that the profiler is currently not able to help me out in this particular situation (I wasn't profiling at the time because the trial period expired). However, if I'm wrong, I would consider buying it now if I could at least activate the profiler and figure out the current state of my system.
dmatsumoto

Re: Attaching to a process after it's leaked a ton of memory...

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 pm

If the memory used by you application is mainly managed memory, then you should be able to get useful information when attaching to the process. The thread you refer to discusses the possibility to use the Profiler API when attaching. However, in your case, you should only do a standard attach. Have you tried to attach to your process after seeing the high memory usage? If you did, was the profiler not able to present you with managed memory usage information?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby dmatsumoto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 pm

It's got to be in managed memory, as I only link to one unmanaged DLL and I get the leak even when I stub out those calls. Unfortunately, since my trial has expired, I can't try to attach. I'm doing my best at the moment with perfmon and some other freely-available Microsoft tools.
dmatsumoto

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

If you need more time to investigate this problem using .NET Memory Profiler, send an e-mail to sales@scitech.se and we will provide you with a registration key that will give you a new 14-day trial of .NET Memory Profiler.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby dmatsumoto » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Sounds great, thanks! I'll send you a request in two weeks. I am currently evaluating RedGate's product for the next two weeks, so I'll allocate the following two weeks to work with your product so I can be fair about my evaluations. I really appreciate your willingness to give me another 14 days!
dmatsumoto

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler