Filter and show only roots instances for particular gen

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Filter and show only roots instances for particular gen

Postby archer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to filter and show only roots?
Basically I would like to see which roots are growing faster from snapshot to snapshot. Also it would be really nice if I can filter them (e.g. gen #2 only).

Alex
archer

Re: Filter and show only roots instances for particular gen

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 pm

The "Directly rooted instances" filter can be used to get a list of all instances that have at least one direct root.
directlyrooted.png
Directly rooted instances
directlyrooted.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 2909 times

I'm not sure how you want to measure how a root is growing, but the held bytes value provides some sort of metric on how large a root is. You can see all instances that are held by a root by right-clicking on the instance and then select "Show held instances details". This will create a filter that includes all instances that are held by the directly rooted instance. If you save the filter and collect additional snapshots, you will be able to see if the number of held bytes grows.
heldbyroot.png
Held by rooted instance

Currently there's no way of filtering the instances further based on the generation of the instances. This is something we might add in a future version.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler