Error starting profile sessions

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Error starting profile sessions

Postby ggilman42 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:41 am

I am trying to start a profile session as follows:

From the start page click "Investigate Memory Leaks".

Select "Standalone application (.exe)".

Browse to and select my application.

At this point, the Next button is disabled. When I click Start, I get a message windows stating "The operation failed with the following error: Failed to start application: Failed to create process".

If I repeat the above steps with a very simple program, the Next button is enabled and I can start profiling.

One possible hint is that when you start the program that I want to profile by double-clicking from Windows Explorer, it requests to run as administrator, but then runs fine after you allow this. I didn't find a way to start Memory Profiles as admin.

I also tried to start my program and then attach to the process, but it doesn't show up in the list of processes to attach to.

Any clues?
ggilman42

Re: Error starting profile sessions

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 am

To start profiling or to attach to a process that runs elevated, the .NET Memory Profiler must also run elevated. You can start .NET Memory Profiler elevated by right-clicking on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator".
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler