Field Value truncated for large string

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Field Value truncated for large string

Postby Pascal » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:56 pm

The field value for a string gets truncated if it is too long. Is there a way to get the entire value to clipboard or file? I am using the dump import.

Thanks,
Pascal
Pascal

Re: Field Value truncated for large string

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:45 pm

You can use the "Instance Data Collection" page under the "Tools->Options" dialog to change the size of collected strings. Change the value of "Maximum size of string instance data" to a larger value to avoid string truncation.
StringInstanceSize.png
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Pascal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks for you answer. Still new to the tool. I have been looking the docs but could not find.

What would be great is an export content function to dump byte[] or string to file. I have some very large string in memory and I am afraid if I set this option too high a value that it will slow down the analysis.

I am just looking at convenient way to do this. Unfortunately I might have to use windbg for this.
Pascal

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Setting the maximum size for strings and arrays to a large value will not affect the analysis of the session, but the session file will become larger. The field data is stored separately and is only loaded into memory when being presented.

We will consider adding some way of exporting field data, such as strings and byte[] arrays, but that would most likely still require that the whole string is collected. During normal profiling, the contents of the fields can be changed at any time and the instances can be moved in memory. It's only when importing a memory dump that it would possible to retrieve the field data after the snapshot has been collected.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler