Azure Cloud Service project

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Azure Cloud Service project

Postby zmorris » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Hello,

I've just tried this product for the first time and am using it to profile an Azure Cloud Service project in VS2015.

I can run and debug the project with the local emulator without any problems. But when I try to "start memory profiler", the process fails with the message:

The operation failed with the following error: Failed to prepare Azure package for compute emulator.

What do I have to do to make this work?

I've tried attaching to the running process as well, using the stand-alone version of the tool. That also does not work (I have been able to successfully attach other memory profilers in this way). Attempts to take a snapshot fail with the error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

So far this product seems unusable for profiling a locally running Azure Cloud Service.
zmorris

Re: Azure Cloud Service project

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:55 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The message "Failed to prepare Azure package for compute emulator" is shown when the build process for the Azure package returns an error. Since you can build and run the Azure project outside of the profiler, there must be some missing or incorrect parameters to the build process when using the profiler. Unfortunately, no information is logged when building the Azure package so it's currently not possible to get more information about the error. We will add some additional logging to the profiler so that we can investigate this further.

Collecting a snapshot from an attached process should really just work. What process are you attaching to?

Could you try attaching to the process with logging enabled and send us the log-files? To enable logging, you need to supply the /log argument to NetMemProfiler E.g. by running the command below from the command line.

NetMemProfiler.exe /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log-files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs folder. If you send us those log files, we can hopefully figure out what’s causing the error.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler