MemProfiler crash when loading a memory dump on Windows 10

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

MemProfiler crash when loading a memory dump on Windows 10

Postby cristianmad » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi,

I have been successfully using the .NET Memory Profiler for a few years on Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems. I have recently upgraded to 64bit Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) and now the profiler crashes each time I am trying to load a memory dump. I have tried using both memory dumps of 32 and 64 bit processes. The error message is ".NET Memory Profiler BitSizeHelper has stopped working".
I have tried to uninstall, manually deleted the installation folder (and re-installed), configured the BitSizeHelper.exe (both 64 and 32 bit versions) to use various compatibility modes and nothing worked.

I should add that I am only encountering this issue when loading memory dumps. The application works just fine if I am attaching to an already running process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cristian
cristianmad

Re: MemProfiler crash when loading a memory dump on Windows

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:04 pm

We have had a previous report about a similar problem, but have not been able to reproduce it.

To get more information about what’s happening, it would be good if we could get some log files from you. Can you run the profiler with logging enabled?

To enable full logging you need to provide the /log command line argument to the profiler, e.g. by running the command:

NetMemProfiler.exe /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory. If you send us those log files, we can hopefully figure out what’s causing the error.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby cristianmad » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Thank you Andreas,

I have emailed you the log files.

Thanks,
Cristian
cristianmad

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks for the log-files. They indicate that this is a similar problem to the one that was reported before. The crash seems to occur when calling the debugging tools DebugCreate function. We will continue to investigate how this can happen. Most likely this is caused by some kind of DLL version mismatch, but the list of loaded DLLs in the log file does not indicate a DLL error.

I will get back to you when I have some more information.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby cristianmad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 am

Thank you Andreas.

I could provide the version of any of the libraries on my system if that would help (or even the actual binaries).

Also, if you'll have a test/instrumented load that you would want me to test, I would gladly do it.

Thanks,
Cristian
cristianmad

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 am

We have still not been able to reproduce this. To make sure that we're testing with exactly the same version of the Debugging Tools, would it be possible for you to send us the "dbgeng.dll" and "dbghelp.dll" files from the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64"? Or maybe you could send us the whole contents of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64" directory?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby shane » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 pm

I seem to be having the exact same problem. Is there any workaround/fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Shane
shane

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:35 pm

We have still not been able to reproduce this error. We never received the "dbgeng" and "dbghelp" files from "cristianmad". Would it be possible for you to send them to us (from the Debugging Tools directory)? Or maybe you could send us the whole contents of the Debugging Tools directory?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby shane » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Email sent to support@scitech.se with the memory profiler log and the files requested.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Shane
shane

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for the log-files and the memory dump. I think we may have found the cause of the crash. Could you download the latest internal build of .NET Memory Profiler and see if it works better. You can download it from:

http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... _0_143.exe
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby shane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:24 pm

It gets further but still doesn't work, now DbgEngProxy.exe crashes (3 times) and the app is displaying "Starting session, please wait..." which never ends. I have to kill the app as there is no way to exit in that state. There is a sub-process "ProfilerAttach.exe" that never ends as well.

I will send you the new logs / crash dump.
shane

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:04 pm

The fix needs to be applied to several processes, and we missed to apply it to the DbgEngProxy helper process (we have not been able to reproduce the crash, so it works for us anyway). This has now been corrected. Can you download and try the latest build? You can download it from:

http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... _0_144.exe
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby shane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:36 pm

Getting closer. It's not crashing any longer and it works for dump files created on the local machine but never finishes loading for a dump file from a customer site.

When loading it on another machine (windows 8.1) I get the prompt for the mismatched Mscordacwks/SOS files.

I'll send the logs.
shane

Postby shane » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

I left it for awhile and it does finally prompt and loads ok, it just seems to take longer on this windows 10 machine than the other wins 8.1 machine I tested it on :(

So yes the fix works...

Thanks
Shane
shane

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks for the information. I'm glad that the import works now, even though there's a delay, I looked at the log files and I can see that there are a few 20-40 second delays when issuing commands to the Debugging Tools. We will investigate this further and see if we can come up with an explanation. I will get back to you when we have or need some more information,
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Next

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler