Unable to open session created with nmpcore

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Unable to open session created with nmpcore

Postby bretnaylor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Hello,

We have added the ability to grab memory snapshots using the NmpCore tool to our software. We have recently received some .prfsession files from a customer who is seeing some memory issues. When I try to open the session using File | Open | Session in the .NET Memory Profiler application (version 5.0.128). I receive an error that it can't open it due to an invalid format. The nmpcore version on the customer's machine is 5.0.107.

Are these versions incompatible? Is there a different way to open up .prfsession files create by the NmpCore tool?

I can upload the file I am trying to open if that is useful? It is 104mb.
bretnaylor

Re: Unable to open session created with nmpcore

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 am

.NET Memory Profiler session files are backward compatible, so you should be able to open a session file created by v5.0.107 using v5.0.128.

It would be good if you can send us the session file, so that we can investigate it ourselves. You can contact us at support@scitech.se for information about how to upload the file (or send us a download link).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Unable to open session created with nmpcore

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 pm

We have investigated the session file we received from you. Unfortunately, they do seem to be corrupt, as the end of the files are missing. One odd thing is that the size of both files are multiples of 1 MB, one is exactly 104 MB and the other is exactly 244 MB. It is very unlikely that this should occur for two session files, so it may indicate that there's some problem when transferring the session files. How did the customer create and send the session files to you?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler