Collecting snapshot does not work for dotnet core with 5.5

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Collecting snapshot does not work for dotnet core with 5.5

Postby freddy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:52 am

I just downloaded and wanted to try the new preview of 5.5, but I'm not able to collect any snapshot.

I have an asp.net core application running only with kestrel. I see the Real Time graph, but when I click "Collect snapshot" the pop up only shows ""Collecting snapshot, please wait" and never ends.

Any advise?
freddy

Re: Collecting snapshot does not work for dotnet core with 5

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks for the error report. We have not been able to reproduce a problem with snapshot collection in an ASP.NET Core application, but we noticed that there are some significant issues with .NET Core profiling. We will address these issues as soon as possible, and try to release a new build of the preview within a few days. Hopefully, the snapshot collection will work better for you with the new build.

What version of .NET Core are you running?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Collecting snapshot does not work for dotnet core with 5

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:42 am

Now we have released a maintenance version of .NET Memory Profiler 5.5 Preview. This version includes a few fixes related to .NET Core profiling. Can you download this version from the preview page and see if it works better?

If it's still not working, it would be good if we could get some log files from you. Can you run the profiler with logging enabled?

To enable full logging you need to provide the /log command line argument to the profiler, e.g. by running the command:

NetMemProfiler.exe /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory. If you send us those log files, we can hopefully figure out what’s causing the error.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler