Can't use NmpCore.exe, what is recommended

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Can't use NmpCore.exe, what is recommended

Postby Blitz357 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi,

I just tried to use NmpCore.exe on a production environment, but quickly realized you require at least .NET 4.0. Unfortunately our application is stuck on 3.5 until later this year. I was hoping to get a few snapshots from a production environment to track down a problem we are having with out of memory exceptions. I thought about installing memory profiler on the production machine in eval mode to collect a few snapshots, but installing in front of a customer seems pretty heavyweight. Plus I am not sure if that is frowned upon by you (aka legal). Note, we would eval the snapshots in house with registered software. Anyway, I am sure that memory dumps are a better way to go, but full size mini-dumps seem to run like 600+mb in size. Profiler sessions with multiple snapshots are much smaller. Do you have a recommended way of getting useful snapshots/dumps without the use of NmpCore.exe and have a smaller sized result? I know mini-dumps can be configured to add/remove data, but I don't have a good enough understanding of the configuration to make a guess at what is useful in the memory profiler for analysis.

Anyway, any guidance you could provide would be great.

Thanks,
-Jason
Blitz357

Re: Can't use NmpCore.exe, what is recommended

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am

NmpCore itself only requires .NET Framework 3.0, but it can only attach (using API) to processes running under .NET Framework 4.0 or later.

However, version 5.5 of NmpCore has much better support for inspection only attach (previously known as Debugging Tools attach). So you should be able to use the preview of NmpCore 5.5 to collect your snapshots, e.g. by using the command line (/ia means "inspection attach"):

Code: Select all
NmpCore /ia <process name or pid>

Unfortunately, there is a bug in the current release of the preview, which prevents inspection only attach using NmpCore. This bug has now been fixed (hence the delayed reply to this post). You can download a release of NmpCore that includes the fix from http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/v5.5.16/NmpCore.exe.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Blitz357 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Perfect Andreas! Thanks for the info and new file. I will give it a shot.

-Jason
Blitz357

Postby Blitz357 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I profiled with the nmpcore.exe you provided. I am not able to open the .prfsession file, that I created, with the latest profiler (v5.0.153.0).

The error message "The session file has been created by a more recent version of the profiler. You will need at least version 5.1.0 of .NET Memory Profiler to open this file."

Do you have an ETA on this version?

Thanks,
-Jason
Blitz357

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 am

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to use .NET Memory Profiler 5.5 Preview to open the session files created by the new version of NmpCore. You can download the preview of .NET Memory Profiler 5.5 from the preview page.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Blitz357 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks for your help Andreas. I downloaded the preview 5.5.13 and when trying to open the prfsession file that I generated with nmpcore.exe it crashes the profiler. I have found instructions in another thread how to turn logging on for the profiler. I created a file transfer workspace from my companies web site and sent you an invite email to both your support email and your andreas email. I have uploaded the profiler log file as well as the actual session file I am trying to open. Please let me know if you get the email as our file transfer web site sends it and I have never used it before. This file transfer page will only be active a few days.

Any help I can get with opening this file. It is from a customer production computer and it is hard for me to gain access from them.

Thank you for your continuous help.
-Jason
Blitz357

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 am

It seems like I didn't look closely enough at the change log between 5.5.13 and 5.5.16. Version 5.5.16 is an internal build that I thought you could use to collect NmpCore snapshots. However, there had been file format changes between the "official" preview release (v5.5.13) and the internal build which isn't correctly handled (it should show you an warning instead of crashing). We will soon release a beta of 5.5, but in the meantime you can try to use the internal build of the full memory profiler. You can download it from http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... 5_5_16.exe.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Blitz357 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread. The internal profiler build did the trick and we were able to analyze the session we captured on the customer machine, finding a couple nice memory problems to fix. Thank you for all of your help. Great product and great support!

Thanks,
-Jason
Blitz357

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler