Snapshot name / comments

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Snapshot name / comments

Postby Harag » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi

As I'm just trialing the profile I have a couple of questions.

1. When I take a snapshot it gives it a number and time - is there any way at that point to give it a name as well ? - I'm currently profiling our very old application (and finding loads of issues with it - thanks to the profiler) but after taking loads of snapshots I would like to have named them based on the area of the our software the snapshot was done in. So I can analyse the data later.

2. On the "Real Time" screen in the "Settings and series" section there is check box to show "Comments" - What are these comments and can I create comments on the timeline, if so, how?

Many thanks.
Harag

Re: Snapshot name / comments

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay.

1. A snapshot is automatically given a generic name based on date and time, but it should be possible to rename the snapshot after it has been collected. However, this functionality has been mistakenly removed from the latest version.We will re-add it in the next maintenance release.
  2. Comments can currently only be added using the .NET Memory Profiler API. We are planning to add the possibility to add comment using the user interface as well.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Harag » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi

Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I'm aware of the API, but not got around to playing with it yet, so wasn't sure that is where the comments came from or not.
Harag

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 am

Now we have built a release of .NET Memory Profiler where you can change the name of snapshots (again). You can access this functionality by using the command "Profiler->Manage snapshots". Previously this was called "Profiler->Rename snapshot", but now you can change the name of any snapshot (and not just the selected snapshot), and you can also add a snapshot comment. The snapshot comments can currently only be viewed in the "Manage snapshots" window and are not related to the comments in the real-time view.
ManageSnapshots.png

The latest build is not yet officially released, but you can download it from
https://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Me ... 5_6_28.exe
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Harag » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 am

This is great stuff, thanks. I'll download that and take a look :)
Harag

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler