GC Handle of type Refcounted enhancement

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

GC Handle of type Refcounted enhancement

Postby bralston7 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:05 pm

When reporting a GCHandle of type Refcounted, it would be nice to also report the COM refcount of that particular object. I have also noticed that the type changes to Weak Refcounted when the COM refcount goes to 0, but it would be nice to see a "3" or "1" next to still live COM/Net object indicating its current count.

-Ben
bralston7

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm

The reference count is not easily retrieved, so at the moment we cannot present the reference count for GC handles. We're investigating the possibilities to include COM object tracking in a future version (not the next version, though). The COM tracker would provide much more detailed information about COM object, including CCWs, RCWs, and reference counts.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby bralston7 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:36 pm

Yes, a COM object tracker is an excellent enhancement. I would definitely like to see this implemented. That sure would help projects like mine where we are coding in a mixed COM/.Net environment. Please keep me advised of this.

-Ben
bralston7

Postby bralston7 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Andreas, what is the priority of implementing COM object tracking in the next version of MemProfiler as discussed in this thread almost a year ago? We really, really need this feature here at Boeing. We have a ton of mixed COM/.Net code.

-Ben
The Boeing Company
bralston7

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm

The COM-object tracker was originally scheduled to be included in the next major version of .NET Memory Profiler, version 4.0. However, we do have a few other big features that are also planned to be included in v4.0 and I'm not sure that we will have the time to implement all of them. So unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the the COM-object tracker will be included in this version. Furthermore, we have just begun working on v4.0, so we don't yet have an estimate on when it will be released.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you better news. The COM-object tracker is an important feature, and we will try to include in the the next version.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements