Loading !TraverseHeap data

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Loading !TraverseHeap data

Postby PabloDoval » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:56 pm

I was looking for a way to load the output from a !TraverseHeap into the .NET Memory Profiler, but wasn't able to do it. I believe it is not currently implemented, even thought I feel it is useful in quite a lot of scenarios.

I guess that when .NET Memory Profiler loads a dump file, it traverses the heap.. so I don't think it would be difficult to implement a feature to populate the internal data structures from a !TraverseHeap output.

I hope you find the idea interesting. Cheers!!
PabloDoval

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. It wouldn't be too difficult to add the possibility to import a file generated by !TraverseHeap. We will consider your suggestion, and it is possible that it will be implemented in a future version of .NET Memory Profiler. However, the !TraverseHeap file does not contain as much information as a memory dump, so the information presented in the profiler will not be as detailed as a snapshot from a memory dump file or attached process.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby PabloDoval » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

I understand the limitations, but it would make for a nice addition.

Currently I'm having problems loading some !TraverseHeap output files that are almos 2Gb in size with CLR Profiler; I would love to be able to load them in .NET Memory Profiler :)

Thanks for the great work Andreas!
PabloDoval

Return to Future Improvements