SDK or LINQ interface

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

SDK or LINQ interface

Postby laughingskeptic » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:36 am

I would like to be able to open a session file and run my own queries against the data. In particular, I would like to identify specific modules on stacks and associate the allocations on those stacks with those modules. Your method grouping feature in 3.5 is pretty nice, but it tends to assign allocations that happen on dispatched or remoted threads to mscore.dll which is not all that helpful. My application has over 1,000 .NET dlls that we develop and several hundred others from 3rd parties. Lightly used it generates 100,000 distinct allocation stacks. Your tool is extremely helpful in understanding what is really going on, but it would be really nice if I could write my own aggregating code or queries.
laughingskeptic

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:27 pm

We're currently working on the documentation for the "external" .NET Memory Profiler API. This API can be used by your own code to extract data from session files. For an example of what the API looks like, you can take a look at http://memprofiler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1317. Unfortunately, the code in the post cannot be used with .NET Memory Profiler 3.5, as there has been some refactoring in the new version (and SciTech.NetMemProfiler.Core.dll is not currently included in the installation). But, as I said, we're working on this and will hopefully publish the API soon.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements