Find duplicate objects feature

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Find duplicate objects feature

Postby orangy » Thu May 05, 2011 4:23 pm

It would be nice to be able to find all objects of certain type which are binary equal, e.g. strings which are same by contents, but different instances.
orangy

Re: Find duplicate objects feature

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. It should be possible to implement this feature as a Filter, e.g. create a filter containing all instances that match some user defined condition, such as being equal to another instance. I have added this as a feature request, but I don't think we have the time to implement it for version 4.0. But we have already planned to implement more advanced filters in the next version, and this will most likely include a "search" filter.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Find duplicate objects feature

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Even though we have not implemented a instance search filter as mentioned in my previous reply, it is now possible to filter primitive type instances and value type instances based on the value (including string instances). If the list of instances presented by the Filter details or Type details view includes primitive or value type instances, a "Value" column will be included. It is possible to define a filter on this column, either using the auto-filter row or selecting using the filter button on the column header.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements