Quick watch window

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Quick watch window

Postby orangy » Thu May 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Wherever I have identifiable instance, I'd like to have Quick View button, which will show same information as Field Values tab on Type instance view, but without changing my context, e.g. in a popup dialog. Also, I'd like to have "Value" column, same as in Field Values tab, in every view where instances are listed, e.g. in Type/Filter details.
orangy

Re: Quick watch window

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. There is an instance "quick view" tooltip in the instance graph (as can be seen in this quickly created screencast). We will consider adding a similar "quick view" in the other views where an instance is presented, but I'm not sure if this will make it into version 4.0. If not, it will most likely be included in the next version (v4.1).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Quick watch window

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu May 05, 2011 10:55 pm

I forgot to comment on the suggestion about a "Value" column. I also believe that such as column could be very useful to quickly get an overview of how the instances are used. However a Value is only relevant for value types and strings, since the value of a class is just the instance identifier (and the type), which is already presented. If you have a list of single value type instances or a list of strings, then the Value column will be useful. But if you have a list (or tree) of instances of different types, then a value column would mostly be empty. Maybe the value for primitive types can be combined in another column, e.g. the instance id or Type, to avoid having an mainly empty column. Anyway, I have added this as a feature request and we will look in to this further.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements