Instance Graph minor improvements

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Instance Graph minor improvements

Postby frostd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi...first off: 4.0 of the profiler is a fantastic product and based on my evaluation our organisation has just purchased 3 licenses.

Two minor suggestions, which would be a big help for me and perhaps other users:

1. The instance graph lets the user click on an object or refence to popup info about it. I've had numerous occasions where the popup has then vanished when I didn't want it to...would be brilliant if there was an option so that the popups could all be replaced by a dockable "properties sheet" instead, which could stay open all the time at the right-hand side of the UI.

2. The instance graph is fairly graphics-intensive. I'm one of the unfortunates who sometimes has to work from home running the profiler (believe it or not) on a machine that is accessed within Windows Remote Desktop WITHIN Citrix (so two layers of desktop virtualisation !). In this setup, anything that could speed up the display of the instance graph would be appreciated..eg: right now the "fading in" of all the objects causes a slide-show effect when which makes the whole experience very painful. Similarly the smooth movement when nodes in the graph are shifted to different positions is very slow. Would be great to have a "fast graphics" option where there was no "fade in" effects and where the graph was re-drawn as quickly as possible [if necessary, don't redraw until it's complete ?]. I appreciate that most users wouldn't have this problem but would be great for people running with desktop virtualisation such as myself.

Thanks !
frostd

Re: Instance Graph minor improvements

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and I'm glad that you like our new version.

1. We have intended to include a properties sheet for quite some time, but other features have been prioritized. It was not initially intended to show properties of instance graph instances, but that's a good idea and something we will look into. I will add this as a feature request for the next version.

2. You are correct, the instance graph is not suitable for remote desktop work. We will add the possibility to turn off animations and fade in/fade out when running on a remote desktop. However, I'm not sure that we will have the time to include this in the initial release of .NET Memory Profiler 4.0.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements