Exception loading back a saved session

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Exception loading back a saved session

Postby MarkD » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:50 am

I get the following error message when trying to load up a saved session: "Failed to open session file: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Dismissing the error message leaves MemProfiler running, but the session is not loaded.

I am running an eval copy of v2.6.66.0. The session profiled was an ASP.NET application which contained 2 snapshots. I noticed that, even although I'd specified not to include instance data in the saved session, the file was still 168MB in size (hence I don't think I can post here).

Any advice would be appreciated
MarkD

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:34 pm

This may be caused by a bug that we have had report abouts before, but which we never have been able to reproduce.

In order to solve this problem, it would be very good if you could supply us with the session file that causes the problem. If you zip the file, it will be much smaller and it might be possible for you to e-mail it to us at support@scitech.se. Otherwise, you can contact us at support@scitech.se so that we can arrange some other way for us to retrieve the file.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks to the session file sent to us by MarkD, we have been able to solve a problem which we have had several reports about, but which we never have been able to reproduce.

The fix for this problem is included in v2.6.74 of .NET Memory Profiler, which can be downloaded from http://memprofiler.com/download.aspx.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

object reference not set to an instance of an object

Postby gannawdm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 pm

I experienced this same error when trying to load a previously saved session. I am on version 3.0.141 Evaluation version.

Can this session be recovered? I will e-mail the session file.
gannawdm

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:16 pm

We have received the session file and I have taken a quick look. Loading the session file does cause an error, and further investigation reveals that the file contains unexpected data. We have not yet been able to determine what can have caused this, or whether we will be able to make it possible to load the session. I will get back when I have some more information.

Is this problem reproducible? E.g. have you experienced this with several session files, or is it just one particular file that is broken?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Future Improvements