Filtering Gen 0 / 1 / 2 heaps when analysing dump file

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Filtering Gen 0 / 1 / 2 heaps when analysing dump file

Postby JLi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi,

Using an evalution version, I am analyzing dump files from a process running on a remote server. In the analysis session, I want to filter to allocations in the gen 0 / 1 / 2 heaps. However, this doesn't seem possible. I can add the "gen #x instances" filter to the default filter collection, but I cannot select the newly added filters in the filter details view. Am I missing something?
JLi

Re: Filtering Gen 0 / 1 / 2 heaps when analysing dump file

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 pm

In the current release of .NET Memory Profiler, the generation of an instance is assigned based on the garbage collections it has survived. If an instance has survived a gen #0 GC, it is assigned to gen #1. If it has survived a gen #1 GC, it assigned to gen #2. This algorithm doesn't work when importing a memory dump, since the profiler has no information on when an instance was created and the number of GCs that has been performed since it was created. Therefore, no generation information is currently presented when importing memory dumps.

We have changed this algorithm so that we use the information about the memory ranges of each generation instead. This way we can assign a generation to an instance when a memory dump is imported as well (and will be more accurate when dealing with pinned instances). This change will be included in the next maintenance release of .NET Memory Profiler 4.6. It is scheduled to be released within 2 or 3 weeks.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby JLi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 am

Sounds good. Looking forward to the new release.
JLi

Postby shashwat03 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 am

Hi,

I am using professional v5.5 and I still don't see this functionality. So when I analyze a memory dumps. It only shows me Gen #2 objects. Is the improved algorithm which checks memory range has already been implemented?
shashwat03

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Instance generations are identified when importing memory dumps (e.g. when presenting the native memory information). However, as you have noticed this information does not show up in the gen #0, and gen #1 filters (which it should). We're currently looking in to this and will hopefully release a fix soon.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Now there's a build of .NET Memory Profiler available that correctly identifies the generation of instances when importing a memory dump. It has not yet been officially released, but you can download it and test it using the link below.

https://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Me ... 5_5_67.exe
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to Using .NET Memory Profiler