Debugging Tools for Windows

Use this forum to discuss subjects that don't belong in the other forums.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Debugging Tools for Windows

Postby KerryJenkins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm

I am having trouble getting .NET Memory Profiler to find the Debugging Tools for Windows. It appears that Microsoft has changed the way that Debugging Tools for Windows is installed. I followed the link http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging. It takes me to a new page where I downloaded and installed the "Debugging Tools for Windows as part of the SDK". This was installed at c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\. There are the following folders: "Redist", "x64", "x86". I tried using the Browse button on the "Missing Debugging Tools for Windows" dialog in .NET Memory Profiler and pointing to c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\x86 but it is not working. I would appreciate any advice.
KerryJenkins

Re: Debugging Tools for Windows

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 am

To install the Debugging Tools using the Platform SDK you must make a custom installation and manually select Debugging Tools. Or you can use the installers in the "Redist" folders. These folders contain the installers for the Debugging Tools, so you must install them yourselves, you cannot use these folders when specifying the Debugging Tools in the profiler.

We will update the profiler so that it refers directly to the installers, so that you are not required to install the full SDK to get access to the Debugging Tools.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby mewan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I am having the same problem with the Debugging Tools. When I run the installer it does not give me the option to customize the install. I also tried running the installers located in the "Redist" folder but this didn't seem to change anything. I am running Windows 7 - 64bit...in case that matters. Can you provide step by step instructions on how to work around this problem? Thank you.
mewan

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

For some reason Microsoft has decreased the version number in the latest release of the Debugging Tools. .NET Memory Profiler verifies that the version is at least 6.3.17 (a version that was released several years ago), but the latest version of the Debugging Tools is 6.2.8229.

We will modify the profiler so that it accepts the new Debugging Tools as well. A maintenance release with the fix will be made available in a few days (hopefully already by tomorrow).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to General