How Large Of .DMP Files May I Open

Use this forum to discuss subjects that don't belong in the other forums.

Moderator: SciTech Software

How Large Of .DMP Files May I Open

Postby thaynes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello,

I am interested in trying this tool. Before I do I was wondering if there was a limitation to the size of the .DMP files I could open. I will be profiling an application that uses a high amount of memory and will need to be able to profile such dumps.

Thanks!
thaynes

Re: How Large Of .DMP Files May I Open

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 pm

There is no limitation on the size of the memory dump, but there's a limitation on the number of managed instances and the number of references between instances in the memory dump. In version 4.6, instance information in a single snapshot is limited to 4GB. The instance information includes the type of the instance, allocation call stack and references to other instances. Other data in the instance (e.g. value type fields) is stored separately and is not affected by this limitation.

In version 5.0, the 4 GB limitation has been removed. In this version the size the snapshot is only limited to the amount of available memory on the machine, but working with a very large snapshot will be rather slow.

We have tested to import an 18 GB memory dump with about 250 million instances in version 5.0 on a machine with 32 GB memory. The import worked correctly, but it was slow to work with the snapshot, and we did get a few out-of-memory problems when investigating root paths and viewing instance graphs (the out-of-memory problems did not stop or crash the profiler, but the information could not be presented).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Return to General