Cannot build Silverlight 5 app after intalling

Use this forum to discuss subjects that don't belong in the other forums.

Moderator: SciTech Software

Cannot build Silverlight 5 app after intalling

Postby yowl » Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi,

Just trying this out for a SL5 app. Installed with or without VS2013 integration and now cannot build the solution either in VS or from command line with msbuild. Fails with lots of errors like:

e:\git\TheHub\src\www\Silverlight\TheHub.Silverlight\Views\VoyageDetails.xaml : error : Cannot resolve reference assemblies. Please check
the reference assemblies. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e'
or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. [e:\git\TheHub\src\www\Silverlight\TheHub.Silverlight\TheHub.Silver
light.csproj]

I remove .Net Memory Profile and it compiles again. What is going on in the installation that is breaking the build?
yowl

Re: Cannot build Silverlight 5 app after intalling

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri May 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks for reporting this issue. We have not been able to reproduce it, but I suspect it might be related to the fact that we're using the async extensions for .NET Framework 4.0. We use them to allow the profiler to run on machines where .NET Framework 4.5 is not installed.

As a test we can remove the extensions and compile the profiler for .NET Framework 4.5. Would you be willing to test this and see if it works better?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby yowl » Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Sure, happy to try it.
yowl

Postby yowl » Fri May 22, 2015 2:35 pm

You may well be on to something with the async stuff. I use the Silverlight Async extensions and I've run 2 msbuilds with verbosity:diag from with the profiler installed and without. There are some differences regarding the pulling in of the SL async libraries. Happy to share the logs (total 46MB uncompressed), or you might try creating a SL project and adding the Microsoft.Bcl.Async 1.0.168 package from nuget. I've attached a screenshot of a section of the diff.
Attachments
memprofdiff.png
yowl

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon May 25, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for the information. We have reproduced the issue and built a new version of the profiler that doesn't use the async extensions. You can download it from:

http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... 5_0_85.exe

The profiler also used v1.0.168 of Microsoft.Bcl.Async and for some reason this causes a conflict when the async extensions are used in a Visual Studio project. We will investigate if it's possible to use the async extensions in the profiler without causing a conflict. Otherwise we might decide that .NET Memory Profiler requires .NET Framework 4.5 and consequently drop support for Window XP/Windows Server 2003. (NmpCore can still be used to collect snapshots on Windows XP/2003 machines).

Anyway, can you test the new build and see if it works better for you?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby yowl » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks, that build works fine.
yowl

Postby RussKahler » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:49 pm

I have installed build 5_0_98 and when I compile my Silverlight app it say System.Core is not found. Strangely its only one of my SL projects. I can compile the project manually and get my solution to build.

When I try to run my app I get this error
[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Threading.Tasks, Version=1.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
RussKahler

Postby Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 am

This is probably the same issue as "yowl" reported, related to the async extensions. You can download an updated version of the profiler that doesn't use the async extensions from:

http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/MemProfilerInstaller5_0_102.exe

Since we have not found a solution to this issue, we will most likely release this version as an official release. Unfortunately this version requires .NET Framework 4.5 so it will not run under Windows XP.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB
Andreas Suurkuusk

Postby RussKahler » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:06 pm

This works for us as we are not using any XP systems and have .Net 4.5.2 on system running profiler.

Thanks.
RussKahler

Return to General