Memory Profiler hangs after upgrading to 5.7 version

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
alexandrv

Memory Profiler hangs after upgrading to 5.7 version

Post by alexandrv » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello.

I've been using Memory Profiler for long time, the recent version I used was 5.6 and I've never had issues with it.
Yesterday I updated it to 5.7 version (Enterprise edition) and it started to hang right after it starts profiled application.
It starts application and immediately after that it shows "Not Responding" in the caption and it stays in this state forever.
I tried it with different applications, even with the simplest Hello World application and the result was the same.
I tried different settings and found that the only way to avoid this hang is to set profiling level to "Very low".
Before I've always used "Medium".

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks.

------
Update: if I attach to the process, I get the same result (not responding Memory Profiler )

Update2: I restored the version 5.6 and it started to work fine for me.
Attachments
Memoryprofiler_hang.png

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Memory Profiler hangs after upgrading to 5.7 version

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 pm

This is not something we have heard about before, but since it works when you select the "very low" setting it may have something to do with the real-time plots. Can you try to just disable real-time data collection? You can do that by selecting the custom level and click next until you reach the real-time data collection page. Here you can disable real-time data collection by selecting "No".

Maybe we can get more information about this issue if you send us log-files from the profiler

Could you try again with full logging enabled? To enable full logging you need to provide the /log command line argument to the profiler, e.g. by running the command:

NetMemProfiler.exe /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory, which you can send us (to support@scitech.se). If you manage to reproduce the error with logging enabled, we can hopefully figure out what’s causing it. Note that the profiled process will run much slower and the log-files can become very big, but since the hang seems to happen immediately this should hopefully not be an issue

To make sure that this is not caused by a corrupt installation, you might also try to re-install the profiler by performing the following steps.
  1. Exit all .NET Memory Profiler and Visual Studio processes
  2. Uninstall .NET Memory Profiler
  3. Restart computer
  4. Re-install .NET Memory Profiler.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

alexandrv

Post by alexandrv » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 am

Andreas Suurkuusk wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 pm
This is not something we have heard about before, but since it works when you select the "very low" setting it may have something to do with the real-time plots. Can you try to just disable real-time data collection? You can do that by selecting the custom level and click next until you reach the real-time data collection page. Here you can disable real-time data collection by selecting "No".

Maybe we can get more information about this issue if you send us log-files from the profiler

Could you try again with full logging enabled? To enable full logging you need to provide the /log command line argument to the profiler, e.g. by running the command:

NetMemProfiler.exe /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory, which you can send us (to support@scitech.se). If you manage to reproduce the error with logging enabled, we can hopefully figure out what’s causing it. Note that the profiled process will run much slower and the log-files can become very big, but since the hang seems to happen immediately this should hopefully not be an issue

To make sure that this is not caused by a corrupt installation, you might also try to re-install the profiler by performing the following steps.
  1. Exit all .NET Memory Profiler and Visual Studio processes
  2. Uninstall .NET Memory Profiler
  3. Restart computer
  4. Re-install .NET Memory Profiler.

Hi Andreas,

the results are the following:

- version 5.6 works, 5.7 doesn't
- re-installation of 5.7 did not help.
- disabling real-time data collection really helps, 5.7 does not hang in this case
- I sent you logs by email, this forum does not allow to attach big files

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:29 pm

It seems like the hang is somehow related to the real-time view, and most likely the third-party graph component we use. Can you try to disable Direct3D rendering in the real-time view and see if it works better?

You can disable Direct 3D rendering on the Preferences page under Tools->Options. Deselect the option "Enable DirectX rendering in real-time view".
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

alexandrv

Post by alexandrv » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:24 pm

Deselect the option "Enable DirectX rendering" does not help.
I have two video-cards in my PC, probably this is the reason.
Later I will try to remove one and test it again.

alexandrv

Post by alexandrv » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 pm

I removed the second videocard from my PC but it did not help. Memory Profiler still hangs if Real Time Data is switched on.

If I clear all the Statistics checkboxes in Real-Time layout settings, it does not hang.
If I set any checkbox, it hangs.
layouts.png

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:18 am

I'm sorry for the delayed response, I didn't receive the notification about your reply.

Since it hangs even when you disable DirectX and after you have removed the video-card, it seems like the issue is probably not caused by the charting component. We will do some more investigations related to this and add some additional logging. I will get back to you when we have some more information.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB