Need Help on Web Service Profiling Technique

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
wshaddix

Need Help on Web Service Profiling Technique

Post by wshaddix » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 pm

I have a large framework that is exposed via a SOAP and Xml-Rpc endpoint that I would like to profile. Currently I run a suite of NUnit tests to "exercise" all of the various methods.

How can I use memory profiler in this scenario? I've read about starting NUnit via profiler and have done that, but I don't see where any statistics get collected anywhere except on the "Real Time" tab. Is this expected or am I just using it wrong?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Wes

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi,

Unless you collect a heap snapshot in the profiler, data will only be presented under the real-time page. A snapshot can be collected from the user interface, but in the case of automated testing you probably want to use the profiler API methods to collect the snapshot. When running under NUnit, the snapshots are presumably collected when a memory assertion fails (depending on the settings on the "Memory Leak Settings"). Snapshots can also be collected by a call to MemProfiler.FullSnapShot.

After a snapshot has been collected, it can be investigated using the normal "Types/Resources" view, "Type/Resource Details" view and the "Instance Details" view.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB