attach to remote process

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
stijn

attach to remote process

Post by stijn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi,

is it possible to attach to a process that is running on an other machine with the .Net Memory Profiler ?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Remote profiling is on our future features list; it is currently not available. It will not be included in the upcoming 3.1 release either, but will probably be in the release after that.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

stijn

Post by stijn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 am

Would it be possible then, to have some kind of tool to dump the session information on a remote client (at customer site or so) ,
and read this info in on my own pc where i have a memory profiler license ?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:48 am

We're planning on providing some sort of utility program that will make it as easy as possible to retrieve a memory dump from a customer. I have not investigated this yet, but there might be something available already, since this should be a common problem when debugging production application problems.

Currently you need to use ADPlus to create a memory dump at the customer's site. For more information see:

http://memprofiler.com/OnlineDocs/impor ... pfiles.htm

Note that the computer configuration on your computer must match the configuration on the customer's computer (i.e. the same OS, .NET Framework version and the same .NET hotfixes installed).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:05 pm

I just want to add some additional information to my last reply. First of all, the OS of the machine importing the memory dump does not need to match the OS of the machine creating the memory dump (which I incorrectly stated). However, 64-bit memory dumps can only be imported on 64-bit machines and the version of the .NET Framework must match.

In the next version (v3.1) we will make it possible to import memory dumps even if the framework versions do not match.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB