Profiler hangs when opening memory dump

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
DT

Profiler hangs when opening memory dump

Post by DT » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 pm

I’m evaluating latest version of the Memory Profiler, but looks like I’m missing something. While profiling large ASP.NET application which consumes about 800Mb of RAM Profiler hangs while “traversing heap instances”. Progress indicator seems to reach 50% mark in several minutes and then stops there. I’ve tried several times, including opening memory dump produced by the WinDbg, but result was the same. Before posting I’ve let Profiler to run for several hours, but nothing happened.

Thank you,
DT

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 pm

The "Traversing heap instances" step (when collecting a snapshot from an attached process or a memory dump file), is a single action that is performed by the debugging tools. The profiler has no way of determining the estimated duration of this action, and therefore the progress bar does not correctly indicate the actual progress. Unfortunately this action can also take a very long time to execute if the process has a lot of instances, but several hours seems a bit excessive.

We would like to investigate the memory dump file that you fail to import. Could you contact us at support@scitech.se so that we can provide you with information on how to upload a memory dump to our ftp server.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

DT

Post by DT » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 am

Thank you, Andreas.

I'll try running Memory Profiler overnight to see if I get any results, if not I'll get in contact with support.

chopsdogg

Re: Profiler hangs when opening memory dump

Post by chopsdogg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:25 pm

I am trying out the demo and running in to a similar problem. I am trying to load a 9GB dump file (normal operation for this service is 5-6 GB so this isn't an extreme example for us) and it has been stuck on Traversing heap instances for several hours. I do see CPU usage from DbgEngProy.exe.

It sounds like this should take a little while, but several hours is not normal. Any ideas?

chopsdogg

Post by chopsdogg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, I let it run all night and it is still in the traversing heap instances step. I found another post, http://netmemoryprofiler.com/forum/view ... f=2&t=1776, that goes in to more detail about why this is an issue with the debugging tools and not .NET Memory Profiler.

I guess I'll let it run all weekend and hopefully have something to look at Monday.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:37 pm

As you saw in the other forum post, importing memory dumps can take very long time. This problem has gotten worse when importing 64-bit memory dumps. The next version of the profiler will include a redistributable utility program that can be used to collect "managed memory dumps" using the attach interface in .NET runtime 4.0. This will make it much faster to collect memory data from a production machine, but it will only work for process that run under .NET runtime 4.0
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

leoking

Post by leoking » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 am

i am a new registed users,to colleagues all the forums, please help me to be able to develop with you in this forum.