GUI fails to load in .net 1.1 with 2.6

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
user31

GUI fails to load in .net 1.1 with 2.6

Post by user31 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm

.NET v1.1
Profiler v2.6

I am trying to run the profiler on an application that reads in a large (3400 kb) xml file into memory before the GUI loads. The profiler hits all test check points up until the XMLLoad call, but seems to fail once the call is made--although I can see the real time class monitor working in the profiler.

Generally the app takes ~15 seconds to start up, with the profiler, I have let it run for 30+ minutes and the GUI never loads.

Are there known issues with the profiler and large XML files? Is there something I can do to get around whatever is happening?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:40 pm

There are not any known issues with the profiler and large XML documents. Are you using multiple threads in your program? When profiling an application the timing characteristics will change and if you have any potential dead-lock or race conditions, it is possible that the profiler will increase the risk of a synchronization related problem.

You say that the real-time monitor is working. Are you seeing any new allocations? If no allocations are performed, then it's likely that the application has dead-locked somehow.

If there is any possibility that you could provide us with a program that reproduces this problem, it would help us find the solution to this problem.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB