Why I cannot find any process in my attach wizard?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
susanhuhu

Why I cannot find any process in my attach wizard?

Post by susanhuhu » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:01 am

Hi,

I am using the 'try' version for the profiler and I installed it with VS 2005. I tried to use the 'attach to process' feature to test one of my .exe. However, in the wizard for 'attach to process' in VS 2005, the list for process is empty even I have started running my .exe files.

Do you have any idea what happened here? I am using Vista Business.

susanhuhu

My .exe is a WPF app.

Post by susanhuhu » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:04 am

Does .NET Memory Profiler can work with WPF apps?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:25 pm

The attach to list only includes the processes that have loaded the .NET runtime. E.g. if you have have an unmanaged process that uses the .NET runtime using interop, then the runtime will not be loaded until the first call to a managed component.

If your login account does not have the "Debug programs" user right assigned, then only your own processes will be listed (e.g. services etc. will not be included). The "Debug programs" right is normally only assigned to Administrators, so you need to run the profiler as elevated in Vista to see processes for other users (including processes started in elevated mode).

Is it possible that the .NET runtime has not yet been loaded into your process? Or is it running as another user?

.NET Memory Profiler works with WPF applications. However, there will be some problems if you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. These problems have been resolved in .NET Memory Profiler 3.1, which will be released within a few weeks (at least as a beta).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

susanhuhu

Post by susanhuhu » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:14 am

Actually I am running the .exe that is based on totally c#. And it is running with my account.

I did not install .Net framework 3.5. I could profile the .exe from the profiler corrently, but when I tried to attach to it, the attach list only have the following two items:

MOM.exe
CCC.exe

susanhuhu

Post by susanhuhu » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:08 pm

I found this only happens on my laptop. My PC works very well listing all the apps I want to test.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Since you get some processes listed in the "Attach to" screen, it seems like the profiler is able to detect at least some processes. Do you know about any configuration differences between your laptop and your other PC? Is any of them running a 64-bit OS? Do they have the same UAC setting?

How do you launch the process you try to attach to, and how do you launch the profiler? If the profiler is running standalone and the process is launched using Visual Studio, there is a risk that the process is not visible when attaching. This happens because processes started using Visual Studio 2005 are normally elevated and not visible to a non-elevated process.

Does it make any difference if you start .NET Memory Profiler using "Run as administrator"?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB