Waiting for profiled process to start

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
evans1dd

Waiting for profiled process to start

Post by evans1dd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:47 pm

trial version: I hit the run button. My profiled application starts and I can interact with it. But the profile sits there with the screen "Starting Session, please wait..."/"Waiting for profiled process to start." Well, it has started and is running.

What do I do now?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:00 pm

If the waiting for profiled process to start message never disappears, then the .NET runtime has not yet been loaded, or the runtime has failed to load the prodiler dll somehow.

To solve this problem we need some additional information.

What type of application are you profiling (C#, Managed C++ etc.)? Do you see any error messages in the Application event log? What operating system are you using? Did you run as an administrator when you installed the software?

To make sure that you have a correct installation of the profiler it might be a good idea to restart the computer, and then uninstall and reinstall the software.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

evans1dd

Post by evans1dd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 pm

C# on XP

The only error in the eventlog is: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.832 - Internal profiling services initialization failure.

I've recompiled several times... went to lunch... came back... tried again.

It now works. (the IDE is currently running, too.)

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm

I have never seen the error message "Internal profiling services initialization failure" before, but it is most likely related to the problem you're having. However, as I understand it, everything works OK now? If you have any further problems, please contact us again.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

svenne

Post by svenne » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I got the same problems than evans1dd on vista, C++ buut when i tried to recompile my application I got the error in Visual Studio 2005

The SciTech.NetMemProfiler.VsIntegration.MemProfilerVSPackage ({4C744E26-76DD-4E9B-BA4E-E7C9EE7AA9C5}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.
??

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 pm

The error message you received indicates that there was a problem loading the .NET Memory Profiler package. Did you get any other error messages? E.g. an error message from .NET Memory Profiler?

This problem might occur if a file or setting is missing from the installation. I recommend that you try to reinstall the software by performing the steps below:
  1. Close all Visual Studio windows, including any help windows.
  2. Uninstall .NET Memory Profiler
  3. Restart the computer to ensure that no pending installations/uninstallations exists.
  4. Reinstall .NET Memory Profiler
If the problem persists, please notify us by replying to this message, or sending an e-mail to support@scitech.se.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB