Undisposed instances

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
pcpatel

Undisposed instances

Post by pcpatel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 pm

In the Disposed Info view, where does the Undisposed instances value for the types come from? The reason I am asking this is because I have a type whose objects gets instantiated over and over again over the life of the windows service and when a new object is instantiated, the previous one is disposed. But .Net Memory Profiler shows that all the object instances for this type were never disposed even though the Live instances being displayed for this type is the correct number.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:55 pm

In .NET Memory Profiler 3.0 there is a problem with detection of the Dispose call in generic classes, which can cause too many instances to be classified as Undisposed. This problem has been fixed in .NET Memory Profiler 3.1. What version are you running? If you're running .NET Memory Profilfer 3.0, it is recommended that you upgrade to version 3.1.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

pcpatel

Post by pcpatel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Andreas,

I am using version 3.1 of.Net Memory Profiler.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:43 pm

OK. Then maybe there's still a problem with the identification of undisposed instances. Do you have some additional information about how the instances are created and disposed? Could you provide a small sample program that shows the problem?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB