"'Finalize' has no implementation" with Profiler?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
QScend

"'Finalize' has no implementation" with Profiler?

Post by QScend » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:46 pm

When the profiler is not in use, our ASP .NET 2.0 application executes as expected. However, as soon as we start .NET MP, we get the following crash on any page load where this DLL is referenced:

Could not load type 'Dundas.Charting.WebControl.Chart' from assembly 'DundasWebChart, Version=4.1.0.1671, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90d06b0c62d592d0' because the method 'Finalize' has no implementation (no RVA).

[TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Dundas.Charting.WebControl.Chart' from assembly 'DundasWebChart, Version=4.1.0.1671, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90d06b0c62d592d0' because the method 'Finalize' has no implementation (no RVA).]
qtiAlert.Controls.Reports.InactiveRequests..ctor(Boolean& bolTitle, Int32& intChartX, Int32& intChartY, Int32& intListSize) +0
qtiAlert.Controls.ReportManagement..ctor() +177
qtiAlert.Controls.MainControl..ctor() +210
qtiAlert.Controls.qtiAlertMain..ctor() +63
ASP.default_aspx.__BuildControl__control2() +39
ASP.default_aspx.__BuildControlThisForm() +144
ASP.default_aspx.__BuildControlTree(default_aspx __ctrl) +119
ASP.default_aspx.FrameworkInitialize() +61
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +56
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +92
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +34
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +125
ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +20
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +406
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +81

This does not occur in any of our applications that do not use Dundas Charting, nor anyplace within the applications that do crash as long as Dundas is not called (constructor or method). Is this a problem with the Dundas DLL or possibly .NET MP configuration?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 am

I tried to reproduce the error you're seeing, but I was not able to find DundasWebChart 4.1. However, when profiling an ASP.NET application using DundasWebChart 6.1, everything worked OK.

Have you tried to disable the dispose tracker? Does the problem still occur when the dispose tracked is disabled?

Some .NET linkers/obfuscators remove the IL information from methods and the dispose tracker will not work if IL information has been stripped out of the library. Do you think that this might be the case with DundasWebChart?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

QScend

Post by QScend » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks for looking into it. I've found that if I disable trace in web.config, the error does not occur. This is enough for us to at least start using .NET MP again. I'll look into your suggestions over the next day or so and let you know my findings. Thanks again.