Callstack Selection

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
suvetar

Callstack Selection

Post by suvetar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked already or it's in the help files - I've not spotted the answer!

When I view the Type Details for a type, say System.String, I'd like to be able to see the Call Stack that generated the Instance by clicking on it, or simply just pressing the down arrow through the list in that view.

I want to, for example order by 'Size (with children)', select the top instance and see its call-stack without having to double click it.

The reason for this is that we have a *lot* of string instances over the life-cycle of our application, I want to be able to quickly see which call-stacks are generated with calls through our code as indicated by the little source icon you get in the stack view.

Similarly, I'd love if there was a stack filtering option that allowed you to only show instances and call stacks that were generated with a call through code in the current project.
If I look at System.string, there are over 6800 separate call stacks and it's very hard to find ones that are routed through my code and ones that are routed through ASP.Net code.

Many thanks in advance!

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:43 pm

There is currently no way of seeing the call stack for the selected instance in the Type details view. We're planning on adding a "Selected instances" entry for the sort callstacks/rootpaths fields. If this entry is chosen and a single instance is selected, then the corresponding call stack or root path would be automatically selected.

In the meantime you can use the navigation buttons in the Instance details view. The navigation buttons allow you to navigate the selected instances, in the order they were shown when they were selected. For instance, you can sort the instances by "Size (with children)", and then double-click on the first instance. Using the navigation button you will be able to browse through the instances, sorted by size (with children).

You can also select a set of instances and use the right mouse button to view details of the selected instances. The navigation buttons will then browse through the selected set of instances.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB