Evaluating MemProfiler for purchase

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
MedicineMan

Evaluating MemProfiler for purchase

Post by MedicineMan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm currently investigating what appears to be a small leak. I have plotted Our application has what we call a homepage. We go into a sub page, and then come back.

Each time I make a roundtrip (go into a sub page and return) my EventHandler count increases by a delta of 1 (currently 52 new, 51 removed, 648 total instances).

I've decided that this is where I want to start my search, but I'm not sure what I should look at next. I've watched the tutorials, but I am hoping to get some assistance here.

I'm on the Type details for the EventHandler, but there are only 26 items on the calls stack. I thought there were supposed to be 52 new (Filter set to "New live instances")

Browsing my various snapshots, I can see that it's consistently 1 EventHandler added.. but I do not know how to find that 1 EventHandler in the sea of EventHandlers.. Strategies?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:16 pm

When you view the details of a type you should be able to see call stack information about all instances of the type. If you sorted (and filtered) by "New live instances" then you should be able to see call stacks for all (52 in your case) new instances. How many call stacks are presented? Are the 26 new live instances you see created by the same call stack?

To find out what's causing the additional instance to be created, it would be good if you could identify the single new instance that causes the increase (since 51 instances just seem to be replaced).
Of the 52 new EventHandler instances, is there any instance that has a different call stack or root path?

If you want some additional help investigating this issue we can take a look at a session file showing the memory problem. You can contact us at support@scitech.se to get information on how to provide us with a session file.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB