How to Profile ASP.NET application

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
skraheem

How to Profile ASP.NET application

Post by skraheem » Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 am

Hi,

I am new to .Net Memory Profiler. I know how to profile asp.net application.

I would like to know where memory is getting leaked when users are accesing our website.

Please help me in this.

Thanks,
Raheem

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri May 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi,

In order to locate memory leaks in an application, you need to identify instances that you believe should have been garbage collected. There are several ways of identifying these instances. If you have a specific task that should not cause increased memory usage, then you could collect a snapshot before and after this task. If you have classes that have new instances after the second snapshot, it's a good idea to investigate these instances. They may be part of a memory leak.

Another thing to look for is instances that have been disposed. When you dispose an instance, you usually intend to not use that instance anymore. So if you have disposed instances, it's possible that these are part of a memory leak.

For more information on how to locate memory leaks you can watch our tutorials (especially Lesson 2) at http://memprofiler.com/tutorials

There is also a short "How to" section about this in the documentation ("How to Find Memory Leaks").
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB