Question about IIS Application Pool w3wp.exe

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
fromage

Question about IIS Application Pool w3wp.exe

Post by fromage » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:57 am

Hi,
I saw the question about w3wp but there is no helpfull information. I have Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 and site, which uses several application pools.
After each page reload one of the AP is growing for about 2-10 MB, and I'd like to evaluate if your profiler can help me to determine the reason.
I've tried 2 options - Profile asp.net application and attach to process (w3wp). But the second does not show execution stack and the first seems not showing my pool.
Is it possible to define explicitly which pool to profile? Can I find out to which process/pool the collected data belong to?

Thanks in advance

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 pm

When you profile an ASP.NET application, the profiler will collect data from the first application pool that starts after profiling is initiated. So to profile a specific application pool, you must make sure that you request a page for the correct application. It is not possible to profile more than one application pool at the same time using .NET Memory Profiler (since the IIS service must be restarted to profile another application pool).

For a future version of .NET Memory Profiler we will look into the possibility to allow the profiler to profile another ASP.NET application without restarting IIS.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB