Mixed managed and unmanaged application

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
rgoble

Mixed managed and unmanaged application

Post by rgoble » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 pm

I am trying to evaluate the memory profiler to see if it will do what I need it to.

I am working with an application that has some memory problems. The program is all in one solution but it contains both C# code and unmanaged c++. The unmanaged c++ code gets built into a DLL which is then included by the C# code.

I would like to know if the memory profiler will be able to monitor the memory in the unmanaged DLL as well as the C# code. I am trying to track down a memory leak that I believe is happening in either the unmanaged c++ code or the managed wrappers needed to access it.

Thanks

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Yes, .NET Memory Profiler will be able to monitor both the managed memory in the application and the unmanaged memory (and other resources) created by the unmanaged C++ dll. However, in the current version, the unmanaged function info in the allocation call stacks are a bit limited. E.g., they will not include the user defined functions in your unmanaged dll.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB