How to get more info when no root path, limited call stack

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
JY

How to get more info when no root path, limited call stack

Post by JY » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:17 am

I use .Net Memory Profiler to try to identify the cause of leaking handles. By comparing resources in snapshots, I see a lot of winsock handle leaks, but I can not figure out which object uses them or create them.

When I select the leaking Winsock resource:
- The Root path is empty

- The call stack is
WSASocketW( int, int, int, LPWSAPROTOCOL_INFO, GROUP, DWORD )
socket( int, int, int )
or
WSASocketW( int, int, int, LPWSAPROTOCOL_INFO, GROUP, DWORD )
WSASocketA( int, int, int, LPWSAPROTOCOL_INFO, GROUP, DWORD )

- The function is:
WSASocketW:
af: 2
type: 2
protocol: 17
g: 0
dwFlags: 1

Do you have an idea how to get more info than that. Because due to the size of the application, it is difficult to locate the problem in our code or in third parties we use.

Thank you for your answer.

Jean-Yves

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, the current version of .NET Memory Profiler does not provide more information than that. Since the socket does not seem to be wrapped in a managed instance, no root paths can be presented. Additionally, the native call stacks presented by the current version is also very limited. However, this will be significantly improved in the soon to be released .NET Memory Profiler 3.5. If debug symbols are available, full native call stacks will presented (if debug symbols are not available, some frames will be unidentified).

Call stack information is very useful when identifying memory and resource leaks, so hopeully this will help you locate the handle leak.

A preview of .NET Memory Profiler 3.5 will be released within a week or two.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB