Profiling when both ASP.NET 1 and 2 are on the same server

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
johnsaxton

Profiling when both ASP.NET 1 and 2 are on the same server

Post by johnsaxton » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:54 pm

We have a web server that has ASP .NET 1.1 and ASP .NET 2.0.

Is there a way to choose which worker process to profile? Or does MemProfiler watch both?

Also... is there a way to set this up so that it automatically takes snapshots on a timed basis? I noticed the command line switches. I suppose I could create a scheduled task to run every X minutes. Just wondered if there was another way.

BTW... A Great Tool. Help me zero in on a bug in very short order. Just in trouble shooting costs alone we saved many times the cost of this product.
Best Regards,
John

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:21 pm

No, it's currently not possible to use the profiler to watch both the .NET 1.1 and the .NET 2.0 worker processes at the same time. The profiler will connect to the first process that gets started. Since the worker processes are completely separate you would need to run two profiler sessions in order to watch both of them. Unfortunately, if you try to start a new session, the first one will be terminated. Anyway, we will look into this, and hopefully we will come up with a solution that allows you to connect to both worker processes (however, this functionality will probably not be included in the 3.0 release).

The possibility to perform scheduled snapshot has been requested by other users as well. It is currently not possible to do that (except from inside the profiled process itself, using the profiler API), but we will probably include that feature in a future relelase.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB