Compare two snapshots

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Kiran

Compare two snapshots

Post by Kiran » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi,

I would like to compare two different states of an application for memory allocations. I am comparing two snapshots of data. I see the new bytes allocated. I would like to know what triggered those allocations pointing to the callstack? Am I doing the right thing? if yes, how do I find the information? Kindly help. Thanks.

Regards
Kiran

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Compare two snapshots

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm

You can investigate the allocations of the new instances by showing the Type details of a type with new instances, or by viewing the instance details of a specific new instance. When you view the type details of a type with new instances, you can select "Sort stacks by: New live instances" under the "Allocation stacks" tab. This will show the allocation call stacks of the new instances. You can also sort or filter on new instances in the instance list to the left. By double-clicking a new instance, you will see the details of this instance, including the call stack.

Note that you will not get information about new instances if the snapshots are collected from an attached process, or if you compare snapshots from different sessions.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB