Profiling startup target of current VS Project doesn't work

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Eric.Hill@sas.com

Profiling startup target of current VS Project doesn't work

Post by Eric.Hill@sas.com » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey,

I'm a new user of the .NET Memory Profiler, so bear with me.

I have already run the .NET Memory Profiler stand-alone, pointed to my executable, and it runs just fine.

Now I am trying it from within Visual Studio. FYI, the project I am trying to profile is mixed mode - the startup project is a C++ project, though it uses managed code and includes some C# dlls. Anyway, if I create a new project, and on the Launch page of settings, I select "Start target of current Visual Studio project" as the type of process to launch, then when I tell the profiler to "Start using Profile Project", it causes Visual Studio to do a build (which is not needed), but does not actually launch the application.

Is this a known bug, or have I missed something?

Thanks,

Eric

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Profiling startup target of current VS Project doesn't work

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 pm

The Visual Studio integration in .NET Memory Profiler currently do not support C++ projects as startup projects, only C# and VB.NET projects are supported. To profile a C++ project, you will need to select "Standalone application", just as you noticed. We will try to improve this in the next version of the profiler.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB