Right-click on snapshot - entire UI disables

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Eric.Hill@sas.com

Right-click on snapshot - entire UI disables

Post by Eric.Hill@sas.com » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey,

I found this troubling issue: This is in Visual Studio (I used Standalone Application to get around the problem I reported earlier). I started profiling, my app came up, I took a snapshot, did a couple more things in the app, took a second snapshot. Then, I went to Visual Studio and said to myself "I'd sure like to rename these snapshots now so I know what they are about". So I tried to right-click on one of the snapshots in the Profiler Projects Explorer, thinking its right-click menu would have a Rename option. I got no context menu, but something else happened: Every button on the Memory Profiler Control toolbar disabled! If I pull down the Profiler menu at the top of Visual Studio, all the useful items on there (Save Snapshot for example) are also disabled! Apparently, right-clicking means "Your profiling session is over, pal!". Is this a known bug?

Thanks,

Eric

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Right-click on snapshot - entire UI disables

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

The context menu in the Profiler Projects Explorer is only available for the project nodes. If you right click on a snapshot or session node, no context menu is shown. However, right-clicking a node will still cause commands to be routed to the project explorer window, instead of the session window. This is a behaviour that we haven't noticed before, so thanks for bringing it to our attention. We will look into this and improve it in a future release of .NET Memory Profiler (and also add the possibility to rename snapshots using the context menu).

Have you tried to select the profiling window again? By clicking or selecting the profiling session window, the profiler UI should be enabled again.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB