Out of memory exception from .Net Memory Profilier

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
ceri.shaw

Out of memory exception from .Net Memory Profilier

Post by ceri.shaw » Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am

I'm trying to profile an exe application that is leaking memory. I'm using Vista 64bit, the application is 32bit and uses .Net 4.0. I'm currently using the latest trial version (3.5) of the memory profiler.

When I try to take a snapshot the memory profiler gets to 'Evaluating static fields' then gives me the error 'The operation failed with the following error: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream'. When I click ok to that it says 'Profiling stopped due to out-of-memory condition. Do you want to save profiler session?'

This application looks like it will do what I want, but unless I can get the heap snapshots it's pretty useless to me. I've tried changing some of the settings such as enabling 'low impact profiling' and turing off 'include instance data', but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for any help

Ceri

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Out of memory exception from .Net Memory Profilier

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

.NET Memory Profiler adds some significant memory overhead to the profiled process, so there's is an increased risk of getting out of memory error. However, it seems very unlikely that an out of memory error should occur while evaluating static fields, so maybe the error is caused by something else. If you could send us log-files from the profiler, we can hopefully find out why this error occurs. You can create the log files by providing the /log:<path> argument to the profiler executable. E.g. by running the following command:

"C:\Program files\SciTech\NetMemProfiler3\NetMemProfiler.exe" /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

This will create a set of log files in the "C:\MemProfilerLogs" folder. Can you send them to support@scitech.se?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB