Can't start Memory Profiler

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
heung

Can't start Memory Profiler

Post by heung » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:03 am

I have a multi EXE and Assembly project that works correctly, can be debugged and run from inside VS2005

Installed the trial version of .NET Memory Profiler. Load the project and select Profiler | Start Memory Profiler

It instantly fails with the following error:

Starting the profiler failed inexpectedly with the following message: Failed to start application: The filename, directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect.

Under the error window, is a second window with the following text:

Please Wait
Starting application: D:\vs.2005\myApp\myAppExe\C:\Program Files\myCompany\bin\myApp.exe

I'n not surprised it fails to load that rubbish. It has concatanated the path the source exists in and the path and exe name of where the app is being compiled into...

Any ideas?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks for the information.

When the profiler start profiling a project in Visual Studio, it locates the executable by concatenating the base path of the solution and the output path of the project. This concatenation should not be performed if the output path is an absolute path, as I assume it is in your case.

We will fix this as soon as possible, and we will hopefully release an update that contains this fix within a week.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB