Help profiling asp.net

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
kuse

Help profiling asp.net

Post by kuse » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 am

Hi,

We have a site that is consuming ALOT of memory (for its kind of application, it should not consume that much) and I thought I would give .Net memory profiler a shot.
I need help to understand how to interpret the results.

Our website is consuming around 750Mb (w3wp.exe process)
Using the profiler to profile asp.net with only that particular site tells me (after the site is fully loaded and a snapshot is taken) that number of live objects is 290.000 and memory is 11.5 Mb!!!

So I wonder, If my site is consuming 11.5Mb and the worker process is 750Mb, where the h..l are all the other Mb's consumed and how do I profile that?

Thanks for a great app btw.

/Regards

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Help profiling asp.net

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 pm

750MB sound like a lot compared to the 11.5 MB used by managed instances. Apparantly the main memory usage is not caused by managed .NET instances. You might get some additional information about what's causing the high memory usage by looking at the "Native memory" view. This view presents information about all native memory in the process, but, unfortunately, this information is not very detailed. You can get much more detailed native memory information by enabling the unmanaged resources tracker (i.e. in the "Profile ASP.NET" wizard). If you enable the unmanaged resources tracker, I also recommend that you setup native memory symbol paths, so that you will get as much information as possible (see http://memprofiler.com/OnlineDocs/symbo ... ations.htm).

If the unmanaged resources tracker does not help you locate the memory usage, or if you need additional help interpreting the results, please contact us again.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB