Large amount of memory in <Other>

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Terry

Large amount of memory in <Other>

Post by Terry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:39 am

Hi there,

I have an application here that seems to be using way more memory than it should. A memory snapshot just after a large operation shows roughly 138 megabytes of managed instances, and 78 megabytes of unmanaged instances. However, the private bytes performance counter shows over 820 megabytes usage. There is also (in the native memory tab) a large amount of memory under Private->Other Data-><Other>, in both the Physical and Commited windows.

Is there anyway to determine what this <Other> field is talking about?

Cheers,
TERRY

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Since you mention that you have 78 MBytes of unmanaged instances, I assume that your are running the preview of v3.0 and have enabled the unmanaged resources tracker.

I'm afraid that I cannot find a good explanation for the large amount of private bytes used by your application. The resource tracker should track all memory allocations performed by the application, so you should at least see a lot of memory presented as "VirtualMemory".

It seems like the resource tracker fails to track some memory allocations in your application, or it maybe wrongly identifies it as managed heap memory (VirtualMemory used for the managed heaps are not presented by the resource tracker).

We will do additional testing on the resource tracker before releasing a beta, but we have currently not experienced a problem like yours. Is there any possibility to provide us with an application that causes this problem? If there is, please contact us at support@scitech.se.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

iamhere

Post by iamhere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm

I have the same issue:

Committed:
managed heap: 20M
private other: 40M
win32 heap: 28M
potentially shared other: 157M

Physical:
managed heap: 4M
private other: 22M
win32 heap: 16M
potentially shared other: 308K

Recource Tracker:
Virtual memory: 20M
Total native: 23M

So, resource tracker seems to show only a small part of all unmanaged allocations?
Event in physical memory case, WinHeap+Other gives about 40M, but tracker shows only 20M of virtual allocations.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:34 pm

The resource tracker tries to avoid presenting duplicate memory when collecting a snapshot. This result in memory that is allocated for the managed heaps is not presented in the snapshot view, and maybe most importantly, memory used by "sub-allocators"like HeapAlloc will not be presented.

E.g. if a call to HeapAlloc for 100 bytes causes a larger memory block to be allocated, say a 1MB VirtualAlloc memory block, then the memory allocated by VirtualAlloc will not be presented in the snapshot views.

We decided to present the memory this way, since such "nested" memory is more of a side effect of memory allocation algorithms. However, we still keep records of all memory allocated, and it was our intention to use information collected by the resources tracker to provide more detailed information in the native memory view. Unfortunately, due to time-constraints this information was never used in the v3.0 release. We're working on it, and the v3.1 release will have more detailed native memory information.

You can also read about the native memory view in my blog post "The “Other data–> <Other>” node".
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB