Reference Exception on VS add-in launch

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
CarlosCortes

Reference Exception on VS add-in launch

Post by CarlosCortes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:46 pm

After I recently upgraded to from 2.0 to 2.6 I try to profile the current project with either the profiler main menu or right click sub-menu on the project in the solution explorer, but get a object reference exception ("Object Reference not set to an instance of an object").

It's not like I can't work; it's just a little clunky to have to complile, then Profiler->Profile Application... and select the application every time. I'm surprised I didn't find anything on this in the forum.

I did try setting the working directory in the current project based on some stuff I read on the mechanism. That didn't help.

Love the product by the way.

Thanks,
Carlos

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:18 pm

This is not a problem we have heard of before. Do you get any additional inforrmation about the exception (e.g. a stack trace)? Have you downloaded the latest version? Even though it didn't cause a NullReferenceException to be thrown, we did recently fix an error with the Visual Studio integration.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

CarlosCortes

Post by CarlosCortes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 am

Thanks for the reply. The annoying thing is that there was no accompanying stack trace or anything. I'm using .NET Memory Profiler v2.6.97.0 with VS2003 (7.1.3088) and .NET Framework 1.1.4322 SP1 with several other packages:

Microsoft Visual C# .NET 69586-335-0000007-18158
Data Dynamics ActiveReports 1.0
Microsoft Application Center Test
ReSharper 2.0 (build #259)
csUnitRunner

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:21 pm

You have some packages installed that we have not tested the profiler with, but that shouldn't affect the functionality of the profiler.

We will release a minor update soon. We will add some extra error handling in that release, and this will hopefully provide some more information about your problem. I will post a new reply to this topic as soon as we have released the update.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB