ASP.NET and Windows 2003

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
eddlsda

ASP.NET and Windows 2003

Post by eddlsda » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:03 pm

I am trying to profile an ASP.Net application under 2003 server. Using the file -> Profile Asp.net, it appears to restart the IIS but when I hit an aspx page on the site, A complilation error is occuring. I have tried this with a written application and even Microsofts's Reporting Serivces web app as a check. Both can't locate the temporary directory where the pages are being compiled to. Is there anything I can do to get this to work.

thanks

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:12 pm

This is a known issue and we will try to solve it in a future release. In the meantime you can try one of the following workarounds:
  • Make sure that all pages are already compiled, by running the ASP.NET application without profiling first.
  • Change the identity of the Application Pool from Network Service to Local System
  • Enable IIS 5 isolation mode
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Maxim

Dynamically creating assemblies in ASP.NET

Post by Maxim » Fri May 13, 2005 5:15 pm

When i try to monitoring asp.net application that created assemblies dynamically erorr CS0016: "Could not write to output file ... -- The directory name is invalid. " occurs. Can you help me?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon May 16, 2005 5:54 pm

This is probably caused by the same issue as previously mentioned. Have you tried to run ASP.NET with elevated priveleges? You can do this by performing one of the following things:

Change the identity of the Application Pool from Network Service to Local
System

Enable IIS 5 isolation mode and make sure that the account used has administrative priveleges (e.g. by adding the ASP.NET account to the local administrators group).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

dragosh44

Post by dragosh44 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:11 pm

When trying to access an aspx, I got "The process cannot access the file "<path>\qrhv0p7p.dll" because it is being used by another process. "
<path> is the temp dir for my admin account. Looking with FileMon, I observe this:
4:04:07 PM csc.exe:3764 <path>\qrhv0p7p.cmdline SHARING VIOLATION Options: Open Sequential Access: All

When trying another profiling tool all is ok, and the dll is created in the windows\temp dir.

Win2k3,
Application Pool identity is local system

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:24 am

We're currently looking into this issue, but we have not yet been able to find out why some files cannot get accessed for some users.

Do you still get the same error if you disable the dispose tracker?

Have you tried to run using IIS5 mode?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

dragosh44

Post by dragosh44 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 am

Enabling IIS 5 isolation mode makes no difference.
However, disabling dispose tracker worked.

Thanks for the workaround.

Aside from this, you've got a really great tool :wink:

dragosh44

Post by dragosh44 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Sorry, I was using an old (2.5.28 or 29) version. Installing the latest one fixed the error, so now I'm able to run it with the Dispose tracker on.