Using .NET Memory Profiler with IIS and w3wp.exe

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
CWAdams

Using .NET Memory Profiler with IIS and w3wp.exe

Post by CWAdams » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:00 pm

We need to diagnose large memory use by our IIS worker process w3wp.exe. How do I monitor w3wp.exe with .NET Memory Profiler?
Chris Adams
Sr. Software Developer
Northeast Utilities

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:44 pm

To profile the ASP.NET worker process (w3wp.exe), you should use ASP.NET profiling. Select "Profile ASP.NET" from the File menu and then click "Start" to start profiling. This will stop the IIS service, inject the profiler into the environment of IIS and then restart the IIS service.

As soon as the ASP.NET worker process is started (by for instance requesting an ASP.NET page), you should be able to collect heap snapshots and monitor real-time memory usage of w3wp.exe.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

shawnhevel

ASP.NET process

Post by shawnhevel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:00 pm

I've followed the instructions outlined in your help document for profiling an ASP.NET page. I get the "Waiting for profiled process to start" message.

I open up an IE7 window and navigate to the following page: http://scfbi0p0mob2/scfbmobiusview/mainmenu.aspx. In step 4 it says the "Waiting for profiled process to start" message will disappear.

I've waited for 10 minutes and it doesn't disappear.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Does your product work with IE7?

Thanks,

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:11 pm

I posted a reply to your question under the thread: http://memprofiler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=712
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB