Memory Profiler startup error.

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
EW

Memory Profiler startup error.

Post by EW » Mon May 16, 2005 6:14 pm

I downloaded this product for evaluation at my company, and when I start the tool, click the Profile ASP.NET button, the click the blue arrow Start button, I get the following message:

"Starting the profiler failed unexpectedly with the following message: Process performance counter is disabled, so the requested operation cannot be performed."

Any ideas? email is eric, followed by whitehead, followed by the at symbol, followed by yahoo.com. Thanks!

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri May 20, 2005 2:16 pm

It seems like your performance counters have been disabled. Check if you have a value named “Disable Performance Counters” under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

If you do, set it to zero or remove it. Now the performance counters should be enabled (I think you will have to restart the computer as well).

The problem is that the System.Diagnostics.Process class uses the performance counters to retrieve information. We will try to remove the dependency on the Process class in future versions of the profiler.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB